27 September 2007

rBGH-Free Milk

I am alarmed at the high rate of cancer in our area, especially breast cancer. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I try to live a life without any added hormones to my diet as well as my young children.

I have been researching all the information regarding the synthetic hormone rBGH, aka Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone, that farmers inject their cattle with so as to produce more milk.

What really got me interested was that Canada, Europe, Australia, Spain, New Zealand, and more have banned this hormone and have banned American milk products in their countries.

I spoke with a representative of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture who assured me these hormones are safe. They have been in use for only ten years.

After much reading I have decided that Organic milk is the way to go. I have been purchasing Wegmans Organic Milk which clearly states "No rBGH Hormones."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is also the soy and rice milk option. Granted, they don't taste quite the same in cooking but you can rest assured they're not contaminated with hormones.